Friday, June 22, 2012


I made some headway this week on the cabinets. I made a dumb mistake when I cut the doors. I did not take into consideration the extra thickness of the particleboard that I was as a backing when it came to the hinges. When I first made the prototype doors I had to cutout space for the hinges to fit. The second version had a particleboard backing for extra support. The backing had a cut out for the hinges to fit in. It tuned out the backing was thick enough to accommodate the hinges without need to remove material from the homasote. However, I did 10 doors the wrong and did not want to remake them.
 I tried to turn this into a design opportunity though. I wanted to get rid of the cut outs but did not want to re-cut all new doors, waste of material. So I decided to fill the holes with .5 inch plywood I got from the school store. I think it turned out well. The contrast of the wood and homasote is kind of nice and a little different a little thing to see in the studio when you look around. I still have to either paint the doors or cover them in fabric.  We really don’t want to have the cabinets look like homasote if possible.  Now I need to make the other 9 doors and put them up.    

           An almost done door




















Door with MDF backing for support and hold the hinges 

No comments:

Post a Comment